SHANE AND KRISTY VINAC
FARM OWNERS, KAINGAROA SIMMENTALS
- KAITAIA, NORTHLAND
- Third generation farm, first acquired in 1923.
- Mixture of flat, rolling & medium hill country.
- Beef breeding/finishing operation, with small but growing Simmental stud.
- Farm runs 220 commercial cows and 60 stud cows.
- Shane’s Father was using Charolais until a bull injured himself and needed replacing. Agent couldn’t source a Charolais so supplied a Simmental instead.
- Simmental proved their worth quickly and the farm moved fully from Charolais to Simmental in 2005.
- Currently finishes all heifers as 2-year-olds to benefit from premiums (in August).
- Sells steers at varying times throughout the year (soon moving to finishing all steers and bulls before second winter).
- With the Simmental bull in the mix, it quickly became obvious the progeny had higher growth rates than that of anything Charolais.
- Temperament also improved significantly.
- Records show Simmental progeny are consistently heavier at weaning, and finish stronger than Charloais progeny ever did, and Simmental Angus cross proving very strong.
- Becoming passionate about the breed Shane and Kristy established their own stud in 2016 – Kaingaroa Simmentals.
- The couple are continuing to grow their stud and improve genetics which is a great thing for the future of the Simmental breed.
More Case Studies