FARM MANAGER, MOKONUI STATION
- Rere, East Coast
- Farm runs 7500 stock units
- 50:50 ratio of sheep/beef
- Fully terminal herd made up of R2 heifers in calf, R1 heifers, MA cows, bulls and dairy grazers
- Beef progeny sold as weaners
- Sam made the decision to introduce a low birthweight Simmental over his heifers (in replacement of the Jersey bulls he was using prior).
- He was already using Simmental Bulls over his mixed-age cows, after making the change from Charolais some years ago.
- Successful first season with calving at 90% – a 5% improvement on last season.
- Simmental bull calves are on track to wean at around 272kg on average – an increase of 15% on last season.
- Simmental heifer calves are on track to wean at around 250kg – an increase of 20% on last season.
- Higher weaning weights will translate into a higher sale price for Sam.
- These results along with the favorable temperament of Simmental are prompting Sam to consider converting to a maternal herd.
More Case Studies