FARM OWNER, LAURIESTON FARMING
- Taupo, Waikato
- Purchased property 15 years ago
- Owns 130 hectares, leases a further 200
- Pumice rich soil
- Beef breeding/finishing & lamb finishing operation
- Farm runs 160 breeding cows and finish up to 10,000 lambs annually
- Inherited Simmental cattle with property purchase.
- Through targeted and careful bull selection over the years he has seen a great improvement, especially in regards to temperament.
- Sells bull calves as weaners and retains heifer calves for breeding.
- Purchases bulls annually from Kerrah Simmentals.
- Bulls and progeny are easy to deal with – good temperament.
- Great growth rates – sells weaners at close to 300kg which earns him a premium.
- This premium is vital for James who had to diversify some years ago when stock number caps were introduced to protect water quality.
- Replacement heifers serve as strong maternal animals with great milking ability.
- Great calvers – rarely have to intervene.
- The modern day low birthweight Simmental has given rise to a whole new market for us in Dairy Beef.
More Case Studies