- KAITAIA, NORTHLAND
- Graeme and Sue, along with their staff, have managed this property since 1983.
- 2121ha across two farms (1726ha effective) – medium to rolling and steep hill country.
- Sheep breeding and Beef farm running 6000 ewes (including 500 stud ewes) and 500 cows (200 of which are Simmental/ Gelbvieh X).
- Mix of cows, replacement heifers, replacement one and two-year-olds.
- Long time user of Simmental bulls predominantly due to their high growth rates and even temperament.
- Also values sound body traits and good milk production of the Simmental breed which he selects for in his bulls.
- Purchases 1 – 2 Simmental stud bulls each year to use over mixed age Gelbvieh X cows.
- Sells progeny at first Stortford Lodge Weaner Fair each year.
- The Simmental influence has led to increased hybrid vigour in his herd over the years.
- Using Simmental bulls in their operation has enabled consistent results – producing 300 plus kg weaners for sale each year.
- Graeme and Sue are well-known for topping their local weaner fair.
- The growth rates continue through to slaughter and his weaners are able to be finished within 12 months of the sale.
- Simmental breeders deliver on everything Graeme looks for in a bull and the customer service is exceptional.
More Case Studies