John & Helen Hammond
- The entire focus is on QUALITY, to breed bulls for stud and commercial breeders to enhance the profitability of their operation, on PRODUCTION AND REPRODUCTION.
- EMPHASIS is placed on docility, Structural soundness, Carcass qualities and moderate EBV’S across all traits. Nothing extreme in either direction, to produce functional cattle.
- Structural Soundness being measured by use of the Beef Class system.
- The stock are all fed well without excessive feeding.
- Carcass qualities and ease of fleshing is paramount.
- Only the females that can produce the above criteria are retained in the herd.
- Commenced Breeding in 1992 with purchases from Ailsa GR and Wai-iti Studs.
- Intensive Farming operation.
- Farmed at altitude, 2,000 ft. Severe frosts and snow falls during winter.
- Best successes include Champion 2 year old female at Royal Show, Supreme Champion Simmental Bull at Beef Expo 2008 with Ruaview Scotch, Supreme Champion Simmental Bull at
- Beef Expo 2016, Ruaview Pinetree AC6. (Sired Glen Anthony Y-Arta, out of a Ruaview Scotch daughter.)
- Steak of Origin -1st Best of Beef European in 2013
- Annual Bull Sale held on-farm at 801 Raetihi Road, Ohakune.
- John is currently a qualified Beef Class assessor.
- John is currently Vice President of Simmental New Zealand.
Number of Cows
35 Stud Simmental Cows and 50 Stud Angus cows are calved each year.
Number of Sires used
Numerous sires have been used through A.I. The main sires that have left a high standard of cattle are: Glen Anthony SGT Pepper, Moneymore Kiwi Kid, Woonallee Hadau, and Ruaview Scotch. Recently added to this list are Glen Anthony Y-Arta, by AI, and MF Fitzy who was purchased at Beef Expo in 2014 for $13,000.
Size and contour of farm
The farm was originally 300 acres of flat volcanic loam soils, however recently most of this has been turned into a dairy block, with the purchase of 40 acres across the road and only 70 acres of flat land being retained on the home block for the stud bulls and a further 150 acres of hill country nearby being obtained in a long term lease arrangement for the cow and calf block. Much of the lease block has a papa base. The home block has been in the Hammond family for over 100 years.
Other Stock in farming operation